07 Dec Happy Holidays from The Green Goddess
Green Goddess Holiday Discount!
With the holiday season here, Green Goddess has many festive plants; featuring our beautiful poinsettias as product of the month and 20% off!
The Green Goddess and Earthstone Annual Holiday Open House
Please join us for great food, festive atmosphere and good company at:
Friday, December 14th, 2018
12:00 p.m.-7:00 p.m.
Come Support The Phoenix Herpetological Society
HOW TO PLANT PERENNIALS
Planting perennials in the spring is generally the best time to plant them. The soil is warming and the days are getting longer with more sunlight.
For perennials that bloom in spring or summer; fall is the ideal time to plant. This will give the roots a chance to grow stronger.
When it comes to perennials, it is all about the roots; making sure they are strong and healthy.
Good plants to start in the fall include:
- Bleeding heart
- Cat mint
- Day lilies
- Oriental poppies
These are just a few that you can plant.
Whether you are planting in the spring or the fall, follow these steps below:
- Make sure soil is workable
- Seeds are the least expensive way to plant perennials, but should be monitored closely until they begin sprouting.
- Mix compost with soil where you are planting
- With perennials it is all about “roots, roots, roots”
- Remove the plant from the pot. Dig your hole to the depth of the roots. After planting fill the hole.
- Keep the ground moist and watch them grow! In Phoenix, having a frozen ground is not usually a problem. Make sure the soil is easy to manage when planting.
- Some plants require more sun than others; so check your garden exposure to make sure your plants are in the best location for them to achieve their potential.
Green Goddess Gardening 101:
- Annuals and perennials can still be planted during December
- Watch your weather report for frost and protect your plants! Remember, we sell frost covers
- Fruit trees and nut trees can be planted in December, but be mindful to use trees adapted to the low desert
- Plant artichokes
- Plant bare root trees and shrubs when they become available at the end of the month
GREEN GODDESS WISHES YOU ALL A VERY HAPPY HOLIDAY SEASON!