17 Apr Getting ready for Summer in Arizona
April is the month leading into our summer and hot conditions. It is a great time to make sure your garden is prepared to deal with our summer months.
April and May are the worst months for weeds; so weeding is an important part of tending to your garden. Summer starts in May in the Phoenix area. It is the perfect time to make sure your summer planting is finished.
This is the month to plant tropical plants:
Your Bermuda grass should be weeded and fed. It grows when night temperatures stay above 60 degrees. Don’t forget to check for any bare spots and reseed.
In your vegetable garden plant:
- Summer squash
- Egg plant
- Winter squash
- Keep sowing seeds of lettuce and garden greens weekly. This will make for a longer harvest.
Roses: After each bloom remove dead flowers and fertilize before hot weather.
Citrus Trees: Here is a tip to keep your citrus trees healthy. Make sure that the trunks of your citrus trees, those that are exposed to the sun, are painted white. This keeps them cooler and protects them from sunburn. Use white latex paint diluted with water; one volume white latex paint to one volume of water.
MOTHER’S DAY PROMO
10% OFF FOUNTAINS & 10% OFF FOUNTAIN ACCESSORIES
Green Goddess has a huge selection of fountains and products to maintain them.
How to Clean Your Fountain and Maintain It
To clean your fountain thoroughly these items come in handy and are recommended:
- Scrubbing pad
- Pressure washer
- White vinegar and water
- Bleach and water
- Fountec algaecide (available at Green Goddess) keeps water continuously clear and helps prevent blue-green, yellow, green and black algae in the water.
- Protec products (available at Green Goddess) help to keep your fountain looking like new. It protects against climate, sun glare and other harsh conditions that can affect the appearance of your fountain. Protec also cleans calcium and rust build up. It is an excellent stain remover and is safe for birds, plants, animals and fish.
Your Green Goddess service representative is always available if you should have any questions when cleaning your fountain.
- Unplug pump
- Completely drain the fountain
- Use a stiff brush (not metal) and white vinegar with water to scrub the algae and calcium away.
- Rinse fountain thoroughly with hose or pressure washer cleaning out all excess debris.
- Refill fountain with clean water
- When fountain is filled, plug pump back in
- Use products mentioned before, Fountec and ProTec and follow instructions on label to help with algae and calcium.
“Don’t forget our Mother’s Day Sale!”
10% off all fountains and fountain related products